Tuesday 17 September 2013

A Letter from a Father..



 Twenty-six years before, two beautiful angels were born in our house. They filled our house with all the colors of joy and happiness. We named them, Aadya and Aarav.

Me and my wife got busy in raising our angels and in our new life. Time started flying soon and we celebrated the first birthday of Aadya and Aarav. Then we sent them school for the first time.
 
They made us a proud parent with their outstanding performance at school. Especially my Aadya was too talented and her brother always support her in her all achievements.

She finished her primary school, then high school and in the appearing year only Aadya and Aarav both got admission in IIT Delhi. It was the partying moment for parent like us.

After four years of the hard work, Aadya was placed in Intel and Aarav got the opportunity to work with Yahoo India.

Me and my wife celebrated the moment of achievement and success of our children. Moreover, one moment that is more special was awaited next.

Yeah, the wedding bell was to be ring.
As soon the news got spread to our relatives and friends that Aadya and Aarav coming home after completing their studies, many proposals started coming for the wedding.

But there was something that broke me, I was shocked and disappointed too. I gave my both children equal love, care and opportunity everything they needed. And they both gave me the same love and care, respect and made me proud.
But the proposals we got for my son’s wedding, family wanted to buy my son with lakhs of rupees for their daughter. And the wedding proposals for my daughter came with the offer of buy their son with lakhs of rupees for my daughter.

I asked, "WHY"? Why is it like this? Why should I follow such evil practice in the name of tradition and culture when I am not following all the traditions in the same way it was there? Why only these things should be followed?

For my daughter people are bringing the alliance who are earning either little bit less or equal to her, even then why should I pay for her wedding? Only the reason is that she is a girl?


Moreover, for my son, why should I take money to get him married? Does dowry promise happy wedding life?

Marriage is not only of a girl, it is for a guy too, then why should a girl family have to bear the expense and if the guy family cannot afford, is their really need of Big Fat Wedding for a happy life ahead? Can anyone promise me this?


If I will get the logical answers for my all questions, then I will accept the dowry and will happily give for my children’s wedding.

But if not, I am sure  I will get an eligible groom for my daughter for a dowry free wedding and will like my son to marry an educated  girl from a middle class family who has spend the money on the education of their daughter instead of saving it for her wedding and dowry. My family do not want to show-off for 3-4 days but we want a happy life ahead.


Mine was a wedding with No dowry and so will be my children’s.
I know this will be like a drop in ocean that cannot change the society. However, I cannot keep crying in the name of society and tradition and this cannot stop to take stand in my life. I got chance two times and feel proud that I took stand in my life.

Let the society people think whatever they want to say, let them say whatever they want to say, I do not care.
I am not like other orthodox who like to debate on tables but do not dare to implement even in their life.

If we cannot afford Skoda, it does not mean we take loan to get one, neglecting other important things in life. If I can afford Hyundai or Ford, I will buy that and will enjoy my life with my family.

Show-off for a day is never long lasting, understand the fact. This will neither help the life of children. Moreover, the so-called society will talk for time being, until you support them with your silence and showing that you did a mistake.


My wife and both children support me for this and for the simple wedding.
Finally, my daughter got an eligible groom for her who is marrying her and my son is marrying a girl, as he wanted one to be his life partner.
Very soon my both children getting married and I can proudly say, there is not even a single paisa dowry is involved in both the wedding. And no big fat wedding too.


People who want to give blessing to the new couple are most welcomed. And who want to use it as gossips and to complaint for not giving a big feast for the wedding, they will never stop complaining, no matter what the case is.

Life is yours
Choice is yours
Decision is yours
‘Stop complaining about a crime if you too are involved in such a big one’
TAKING and GIVING the Dowry is a Crime and an Offensive Act

From
A proud Father
to all the fathers and future fathers





No comments:

Post a Comment