Friday 20 September 2013

Indian’s Future Pillar in Mechanic Shed


Today I want to tell you all a story may not be so special to you, but of course so different from ours.

 This story is of a 12 years old boy in Pudupet (Chennai).

I met him one day in a mechanic shed where he went to repair his bike while coming back from his office. A boy approached him offering the help for his bike.

There was nothing special seeing a 12-year-old boy working in a mechanic shop. I explained the problem in Tamil. He gave a difficult expression. And I was there with a confused look.
 
“Anna, Hindi ???”

“Hindi??” I was not much comfortable with Hindi, but tried to manage to converse with him in broken Hindi.

While the boy was repairing the problem with bike, I asked him, “neither you know Tamil nor you look like a Tamilian!”


That boy, “you are right sir!”

“What is your name? And since how long you are here in Chennai?”

“Since 2 years sir... My name is Mohammed Rabbi Husain. Came here when I was 10 years old.” He replied without even taking his eye away from his work.

“Hmmm... so what about your parents? Your Home?” I could not resist asking him some more question.

“My Home? Family? They are in Assam Sir. Do you know where it is? Northeast of India, near China. It is too far from here.” He took a deep breath and paused for a moment, “It take 4-5 days to come from there” One could feels the pain in his voice.

“So, when you met your parents last time? Any plan to go home in near future?” This was my next question.

“Saw them 2 years back while leaving home, and I don’t know when will I meet them”, he was busy with his work.

“So how you came here? ...so far from home?” even it was not of my business, I shoted another question.

“My uncle’s son lives here since last eight years. Last time when he came to our place, my parents send me here with him” he paused for a while, “my mother’s earning was not enough for the family and father is not in condition to work. So I had to come here to earn as my cousin brother promised to get some work here. I have to earn and collect money to send home. I have an elder sister to get marry, I have to help mother to collect her dowry money.”

I was speechless. It was not as if story of Rabbi Husain was so unique and special. There were lakhs of Rabbi Husain in different part of India with different names.

“So what about your studies? You don’t want?” unwillingly I asked this question that made him looks more pity.

“I want to get education sir. I want to learn English and maths and get a job. But neither I can give fee for a school nor can leave my job.

Job is my need today and very important for my family, and I know that getting educated is my need of future, for my life....but I have no idea how to get both. So, trying to fulfil the need of today.”

These words really touched my heart.

Such children are working for daily wage of Rs. 200. Along with that, get scolded and beaten by the owner. Stay away from home, trying to learn the work but interested to study but not able to study.

Right now, he cannot read or write English. It is good that he learns a job and he can have his own mechanic shed when he will be of 20 to 25 but what about the outside world knowledge.

There are lakhs of such children, but may be one in twenty high-class children.
Don’t we have any responsibility for such under privilege children?


·        Can’t we save money avoiding 2-3 Pizza, McD and CCD hangout and help one such needy?
  
·        So many private schools are taking tones of money from everyone; can’t they adopt 2-3 children and educate them free?
  
·        Only spending money in Disc-Bar, Expensive Restaurants and parlour proves that we are highly educated and modern?


.....as narrated by one of my friend from Chennai (Mohammad Umar)

No comments:

Post a Comment